On to the 2nd group of the Top 36 Idol contestants.
Last night's show was SLIGHTLY better than last week's. Slightly. Still a LOT of bad singing and weird song choices and boringness. So - let's kick it off.
Up first is the girl I have been calling "Talented Jasmine" Murray. And I am wondering where the heck she went, and who this is up on stage singing "Love Song" by Sara Bareilles completely off key and out of sync with the music. She was a judge favorite and had SO much promise! Look what she rose above in Hweek?? SO sad for her, it realllly stunk. Randy says it's pitchy, Simon, Paula & Kara are sad she didnt' do better because they like her look. I couldn't even bring myself to give her a vote for previous efforts because of how horribly she sang that rather simple song. I'm thinking this will be the last we see of Jasmine.
Matt Giraud, the dualing pianist goes next, and sings "Viva La Vida" by Coldplay. He had horrible phrasing, was off key, misses the mark on the falsetto he tried to pull off and just murdered that song. He sounded like a goat. Kara said she was impressed with him during Hweek but this was just bad. The other judges agreed and don't think he'll make it through. The judges point out that he is a bluesy type singer, not a rock singer, and he should have stuck with what got him here in the first place.
Up next is Jeanine Vailes singing "This Love" by Maroon 5. This is the first we've seen Jeanine and I think she was just trying too hard to pack 4 weeks of show into one performance. It was way overdone and again - she was off key. Simon agrees she was trying too hard. The only thing any of the judges could compliment her on were her very very short shorts and nice legs. She tries to beg for America's vote but I don't think it's gonna happen.
Unfortunately, Nick/Norman is up next singing Jennifer Hudson's "And I Am Not Going." I think he already sang this in an audition didn't he?? Well, maybe, but this time he's changed the words! Dressed in that stupid shirt and headband he sing through his nose the entire time and is clearly making fun of the show. He humps the Idol sign, gives Neil Patrick Harris a "Doogie!" shout out. I'm positive that he in no way shape or form wants to be the next American Idol, and is probably shocked that he's made it this far. I can't figure out how that's even happened. I will fall out of my chair if he makes the Top 12. I hope I speak for everyone when I say that I'm sure American has had enough of Nick/Norman and is over the shtick.
Up next is my NEW FAVORITE GIRL EVER - Allison Irahata. After giving a really awkward cracked out interview with Ryan, she FLAWLESSLY sings "Alone" by Heart. This is maybe the 2nd time we've seen her sing. OH my god this girl has a voice. I voted and voted for her! GO ALLISON!!! She's only 16, the judges all loved her, Paula compliments her stage presence, and Simon & Kara liken her to Kelly Clarkson. Well... I can SORT of see where they're coming from, much more with this girl than with Alexis Grace. I REALLLY hope she makes it through to the top 12. She needs to work on her interviewing but man, the singing part is all good.
Kris Allen goes next and sings "Man in the Mirror". This is the 1st time we've seen Kris and I have no idea who he is. It wasn't bad though. I voted for him, but I'm not sure he did enough with that song to get through to the Top 12. Still, he's cute, so... that helped. The judges like his look and his confidence.
Megan Corkrey is up next, singing "Put Your Record On" by Corinne Bailey Rae. Awesome song choice, bad dance moves. But she hits every note and is completely adorable. She definitely got my votes last night. The judges all like her, Kara thinks she's marketable and the camera loves her. Paula thought she was hip, cool, and relevant. Simon says she's always been one of his favs. I have hopes for Megan.
Matt Bratzke sings "If You Can Only See" by Tonic. Didn't like it. Matt is like Michael Sarver but not as charming. That's kind of all I have to say about that.
Jessie Langseth goes next and sings "Betty Davis Eyes". It was good! I liked it a lot, she hit the phrasing beautifully and every note was clear and on key. What more can you want? I liked it! I voted for her. Simon didn't think it was memorable enough. Simon called her "too cool for school", I"m not sure if that means he liked it or hated it. Randy wanted to see more range. I liked it well enough but I don't think she'll beat out Allison or Megan.
Kai Kalama sings next with "What Becomes of the Brokenhearted" We didn't see much screen time for Kai in Hweek but I thought he would've been more of an alt/folk music type. He had stupid hair and dumb facial expressions. The singing wasn't bad, but it wasn't pretty either. Way too smiley. All the judges agreed it was awkward and old fashioned.
Up next is Mishavonna Henson singing "Drops of Jupiter" by Train. I thought she did a great job, it was beautifully sung and pretty flawless. We haven't seen much of her at all since the auditions so it's kind of a bummer we don't know more about her. I think if they would have featured her a little more, she'd have had more of a shot at tonight's votes. She's got a pretty voice and she's nice and normal-seeming. Kara wants her to loosen up, saying that she's too put together and serious. But how can you pick on someone for being composed, talented, and put together after Kai??? Paula wasn't impressed and Randy & Simon think she acts older than she is. I voted for her several times, she's got a great voice, I would love to hear more.
Here comes Adam Lambert singing "Satisfaction" By The Rolling Stones. Which is funny because his interview clip is all him talking about how he needs to learn how to internalize his performances and not be so theatrical. HAHAHAH. WOW. He is campy, vampy, flamey, and an AMAZING singer. This guy has a voice like nothing else! He is WAY too theatrical and over the top and does some strange face but if you close your eyes it's not so horrifying and he can SING. Plus, he's in the last spot so you know right there, he's going through. The judges for the most part unanimously loved it but Simon pointed out it could be a "love it or hate it" moment. I'm somewhere in the middle. Not completely convinced but willing to give it another week or 2, so I voted for him.
My predictions for tonight - Allison and Adam are shoe ins for the girl & guy. The 3rd spot could possibly go to Mishavonne, Jesse, or Megan. PLEASE not Nick!!!
Thursday, February 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment