Thursday, March 5, 2009

Top 36 - Group 3

So here we are with the final group - Group 3 - going in to the Top 12. The last 3 Top 12 spots will be filled with Wildcard contestants and I'm not exactly sure how that show is going to work out yet, but I'll keep you posted for sure!!

The 3 finalist from last week through to the Top 12 are Adam Lambert - duh, Allison Irahata - YAY! and Kris Allen, who is cute but not THAT great...

So! Up first is Von Smith, the shouty guy with the stupid hat from auditions. He sings "You're All I Need to Get By". He started out kind of shaky but actually did a pretty good job. He didn't scream and shout and be all obnoxious but his mouth is really freaky big and a few times it looked like he was going to eat the microphone. Kara thinks Von is finally starting to come into his own. Paula thinks he's "quite the showman". Von reminds Simon of Clay Aiken (?) and Randy thinks the performance was much better than what we saw of Von in Hollywood which begs the question - then how did he get HERE? I didn't think it was good enough for a vote, plus his weird faces and huge mouth aren't anything I really want to experience over the next several weeks, nor do I think he's good enough to win so I didn't bother voting for Von last night.

Singing 2nd is Taylor Vaifanua with "If I Ain't Got You" by Alicia Keyes. The judges rip on her for doing the same song during auditions and I have to agree. We've all heard you sing that, we know you can sing that, show me something that makes me think you can sing OTHER songs and earn my vote! Simon called it bland and said he couldn't remember her at all, Kara doesn't know who Taylor is as an artist so she wants to take her shopping (?) but Paula & Randy are fans. It was good though, she hit all the notes and seems like a nice person so I voted for her.

Alex Wagner-Trugman, the geeky guy, is up next singing "I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues" which was REALLY awful. He had weird dance moves, kept growling into the mic, and is just SO geekishly geeky. His one on one interview clip had some funny and witty moments but the singing and stage presence was SO off. The judges all agree it was horrible, so, no votes for Alex tonight and I'm sure we won't be seeing him hereafter.

Poor, poor Arianna Asfar, who, for some unknown reason, ends up singing "Winner Takes It All" by ABBA. She tried to R&B it up a little bit with some riffs and the arrangement but it totally didn't work. I liked her previous performance though so I voted for her anyway but I'm sure she won't get into the Top 12 after that. It was depressing, boring, and seemed to drag on forever. That's actually a pretty song that I enjoy listening to, but Arianna didn't do it any favors. Simon thought it sounded like a funeral. Kara thought Arianna should have chosen something to highlight her youth. I was a little frustrated with Arianna's dialog tonight because she kept talking about how she was glad the judges didn't make any comments about her looks. The only thing the judges have said thus far with regards to her looks is how completely adorable and cute she is. Oh, yeah, I REALLY feel for you Arianna, it's such a downer when people compliment you!

Ju'Not Joyner sings "Delilah" by Plain White T's. He does a mellow, R&B take on it and it's not bad. He's in key and he tried to make it his own without completely murdering the original melody. The judges seem more interested in his little boy than his actual performance though. He's not the strongest singer in his group and I doubt he'll make it through. But I voted for him anyway because he seems like a nice guy and did a pretty good job

Former Nashville Star contestant Kristen McNamara is up next and after informing us in her interview that she is "Karaoke Host" she chooses to sing "Give Me One Reason" by Tracy Chapman which is probably THE most over-sung Karaoke song EVER. I thought her performance made her seem like she was 37. It was ok vocally but kind of dated sounding. I don't like how she's trying to play the popstar angle when it wasn't that long ago she was vying for a country album deal. There's a reason the judges can't pinpoint who she is as an artist, and it's because she doesn't know, herself... Or she DOES know and is trying and failing at faking it.

Nate with the headband is up next and he's singing "I Would Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That) by Meatloaf of all songs! OH my LORD this was a horrible performance. He was totally overdoing it, off key, out of rhythm with the music, and this is supposed to be like, an angsty, rocker song and he was cheesin and smiling and pointing to the camera and audience while skipping around the stage the whole time. VERY bizarre. No votes for Headband Nate tonight from me!


Felicia Barton (Joanna Pacitti's replacement) is up next singing "No One" by Alicia Keyes. I wish they would have EXPLAINED on the show last night WHY she is there and Joanna got the boot but they didn't. ANYWAY - I liked Felicia's new bangs and I liked the song, and I like the singing so I voted for her.

Scott The Blind Guy is up next. He does a pretty good performance with "Mandolin Rain". I liked it. Not the best of the night but if he makes it to the Top 12 it'll be because he's a decent singer, a likeable guy with a good story of overcoming an obstacle and chasing his dream. I voted for him for exactly those reasons. Though, I admit to being a little worried when he stood up off of his stool and started walking toward the edge of the stage. Luckily he stopped and just stayed put for the rest of the song!

Cutie Kendall Beard sings next with Martina McBride's "This One's For The Girls". Yeah, it was good, but I felt like I was watching a Miss America pageant. The SUPER blonde hair, the arm up, arm down, arm up, arm down, cheesy wink to the camera, nodding at the audience performance came off pretty rehearsed. But she sang well, and is really cute and won "Best Outfit" from Kara! I voted for her because I like the pop/country crossover types and wouldn't mind seeing her sing again.

Next is Jorge Nunez with "Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me". He does a great job but it was a little slow and drawn out. Still, he has a pretty voice and never missed a note. I liked it because you can tell he has talent, not just a loud voice, or "potential". He actually can SING sing. Definitely voted for her.

And, as if you didn't know she would get the last spot - Lil Rounds sings... LAST with "Be Without You" by Mary J. Blige. I was frustrated with the whole Lil Rounds hype during auditions and didn't think she was all they were making her out to be but after last night, I am convinced she deserves to be on this show. She has an amazing voice, a polished stage presence, and gave a great performance. I hope to see her through to the next round, which all of the people they save to close the show have been sailing through. Go Lil!!

My predictions for this week are definitely Lil and Scott, but not sure who should take that 3rd spot. Should be Jorge based on talent but it could go to Felicia, Kendall, or Kristen just as easily. We'll find out tomorrow during the results!

No comments:

Post a Comment