Thursday, March 26, 2009

American Idol Top 10 ~ Motown Week

American Idol Top 10 Recap ~ Motown Week

So last week we said a somewhat surprising goodbye to Alexis. Conspiracy theories aside, I can sort of see why she went home based on her performance last week. She's still better than a few of the finalist who are left but put her up against Danny Gokey, Matt Giraud, and Lil, and she wasn't going to win anyway, so not really a huge loss in my opinion.

Speaking Matt Giraud, he's up first singing "Let's Get It On". I liked this song for him, he's a cool dude and I really like his voice. I thought he did a good job with this song. My only issue is, why do they have them start singing behind the piano, then get up and walk away from it completely? David Archuleta did that a few times last season and it bugged me then as it does now. Anyway, the judges liked him, and Paula calls him "tasteful, classy, and spot-on". I voted for Matt tonight and hope to see him back next week.

Kris Allen is up next singing "How Sweet It Is". Kris makes weird faces. He has a pleasant voice but this song is too cheesy to be sung but such a goody goody as Kris seems to be. Not that there's anything wrong with being wholesome and good! But I think Simon is right when he tells Kris he's lacking any kind of swagger. I voted for him because he can definitely sing. I just hope he can figure out a way to keep those goofy faces under control.

Blind Scott sings 3rd. He does "You Can't Hurry Love" by Diana Ross. He should've gone more with the Phil Collins version I think... I think this week was an improvement over last week as far as the vocals are concerned but for me, he's sort of losing his appeal. He's not as good as several of the people left and as much it's admirable that someone with a handicap is out there succeeding as chasing their dream despite the setbacks and difficulties, you still have to be good. I didn't vote for him tonight because I just didn't really like the performance but I wish him well and I don't think he'll have any trouble pulling through to next week.

Up next is Megan Joy. Ugghhh... I'm totally over this girl and the weird way she pronounces words when she sings! It's just all too much. She has one style and one style only and it's getting a little overdone. She sings "For Once In My Life". I'm not sure what bugs me more, the standing still little twisty, handflappy dance or the awkward walking around the stage. She was off key, missing notes, it was just bad. She's totally cute and adorable but this was just the latest in a long line of realllly odd song choices that aren't doing her any favors. I did not vote for her tonight, and I think based on the judges' comments she could be in trouble.

Anoop is next with "Oh Baby Baby". I realllly liked him this week again! I agree with Randy that maybe next week would be time to up the tempo a little and show us something new, but his vocals were great, he hit all the notes, and the judges all liked it a lot. Definitely voted for him, hope to see him back next week with something a little more upbeat.

Michael Sarver goes next and sings "Ain't Too Proud To Beg" and wants to "church it up" by singing off the cuff. Yeah, that didn't go so well. He is totally overdoing the growling again, missing most of the higher notes and not getting low enough to hit the lower notes. He's awkward and off balance and when he reaches down to shake hands with the fans he loses the tempo. Even Paula couldn't find anything nice to say about it and you could tell that was reallly a hard critique for her to make but she thought it was too much like a lounge performance in Vegas, and none of the other judges had anything good to say to him either. No votes for poor Michael last night, I think he could be in trouble at tonight's elimination.

Lil Rounds is up next with "Heat Wave". This wasn't Lil's best week. She was missing some notes and when Randy said he felt like the performance was rushed I thought that was one of the few things Randy ever says that made any sense. It was rushed and I think she was just trying a little too hard. I wasn't impressed. She's got a great voice and is a good performer but I think my problem with this week is that we've just heard these songs a million other times, sometimes sung MUCH better than what this group of contestants is doing with them, and it just doesn't WOW me. Lil is good, btu she's not the BEST there's every been on this show, and it's just not blowing me out of the water. So, I voted for her becuase I don't think she should be going home yet, but she's another one who is kind of losing my interest. She needs an AMAZING performance next week if she wants to cement her shot at making Top 5.

Adam Lambert is next singing "Track Of My Tears". I have mixed feelings on this performance and on Adam in general. He is like leagues and leagues above most of the other contestants on this show because of his extensive stage performing experience. Sometimes it helps him because he's always polished, has a stage presence, and even though he's completely over the top and overly confident in his awesomeness (which I find obnoxious), he really is one of the best contestants this season. Now, he's not one of my FAVORITES, but he is one of the best. The judges all gave him props for tying to play it straight which made me laugh out loud. Not the most accurate adjective to use when describing ANYTHING this kid does, but I get where they were trying to go with it. Vocally he did a pretty good job but I just cannot bring myself to vote for him because I just don't like his personality or his attitude.

Oh Danny Boy goes after Adam and he sings an upbeat "Get Ready". I don't mind Danny singing the uptempo songs too much, but I like him better with the midtempo alternative sounding songs and the ballads. It really suits his voice and style better and then I don't have to watch him try to dance. Paula thought it was great, Simon hated it. I voted for him because I think he's mostly great, but tonight was kind of goofy.

In the showcase spot tonight was my girl Allison singing "Papa Was A Rolling Stone." Another song that we ALWAYS hear. But that's okay because she rocked it out. Probably the best performance of the whole night. I would like to see Matt & Allison in the Top 2 and I would be a happy Idol viewer. I think she is awesome and I voted a bunch of times for her. I was so sad to see her in the bottom last week, I really hope she can avoid it tonight. Usually the show closer person sails on through so let's hope it works for Allison!

So, I think the people in trouble tonight will be Michael and Megan for sure. Based on last night's performance and judge's comments, Scott and Lil could also be in a little trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment