Thursday, February 26, 2009

Top 36 - Group 1

Okay! Here comes the good part! The part where we get to start voting! YAY!

Unfortunately, there wasn't much good about the show tonight. Weird song choices, bad bad off-key singing, and annoying judge's comments made me want to kill someone.

We start off with Jackie Tohn who sings "A Little Less Conversation". First off, girl needs to talk to a stylist, quick. Those shoes were so distracting I couldn't even hear her singing, and I think I'm glad. It was WAY over the top, way too shouty and seemed like it would never end. I did not vote for her tonight. I don't hold out much hope for her making Top 12 at all.

Up next was Ricky Braddy who we haven't ever heard of before now. He sings "A Song For You". During his interview segment he declares that he's tired of serving chicken fingers. Well, yeah, given the choice between chicken fingers and Idol, I guess I know which one I'd pick, too! The judges liked his performance, I had to fast forward it after the first verse because it was too boring to watch. I didn't vote for him either. Come on this is TOP 12 we're vieing for here people!! Let's step it up a notch hmmm?

Alexis Grace is up next and sings "I Never Loved a Man" I loved it, I thought she did a great job, she definitely got my vote. I love her pink hair, too! The judges compare her composure to that of Kelly Clarkson but I don't think the 2 have anything in common at all. Either way, the judges all loved her and I hope we see her move on.

Brent Keith sings next. He sings "Hicktown", which shouldn't be a shocker since he is a former "Nashville Start" contestant. It was okay, not anywhere near as good as the original. I voted for him because I like country and I think he did a pretty good job.

Up next is Stevie Wright who sings "You Belong With Me" by Taylor Swift. OH it was soooo bad. I LOVE Taylor but she's not a good live artist and clearly neither is Stevie. But I give her props for trying what the judges asked. They told her to do something young and fun, so she does, then they rip on her for it. She was off key the whole song and the phrasing was horrible. No hope for Miss Stevie on making it through to Top 12. I couldn't even bring myself to pity vote for her.

My boy Anoop Desai is up next and sings "Angel of Mine" by Monica which is one of my favorite songs! He does an amazing job with it, I loved it! It was awesome. I voted and voted for him and hope he makes it through. The judges on the other hand, thought it was boring and that he didn't nail it. Which is annoying because I really thought he did good!

Casey Carlson sings next with "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic". Casey is really cute, but this was an AWFUL performance. I think she was trying too hard to "make it her own" instead of just singing the melody the way it's supposed to be sung. My opinion - she's out.

Up next is Michael Sarver, the oil rig roughneck guy. He sings "I Don't Want To Be". I get where he was trying to go with it but it wasn't so great. He had bad phrasing and it was kind of shouty. Still, I like him and wanted to be able to vote for another person before the end of the the show so I voted for him. Not sure what tomorrow night will hold for Michael. The judges want him to work on his stage presence.

Ann Marie Boskovitch goes next and sings "Natural Woman" It was a little bit boring but she does a pretty good job with it. She's pretty and has a nice voice. She's not the most interesting persn on the show but she seems normal so right there she's winning points with me! I voted for her but Simon told her she may have lost her only chance and when he SAYS shit like that, usually voters listen.

Stephen Fowler sings "Rock With You" next and it is HORRIBLE. He said in his interview he wanted to show who he was an artist. REALLY? You're a piano player and you want to show us your Michael Jackson impression?? OH honey, no. He was off key and the whole thing was realllly corny. Simon calls it right when he disses the bad arrangement, too.

Ugh, it's paining me to recap this girl but - Tatiana Del Toro is next and she sings "Saving All My Love For You" by Whitney Houston. On top of that, she's trying with every ounce of her being to do normal. Freaked out psycho Tatiana is annoying, but Normal Tatiana is even worse. I kept waiting for her to pull out of colt .45 and start shooting! It was freaky and offputting. She sings well, I give the girl props for that, but I didn't vote for her because I don't WANT Crazy Narcissisticness cluttering up the rest of my Idol season.

Danny Gokey is up last - because they ALWAYS put the guy they want to see through in the last spot. He sings "Hero". He hits all the notes and nails it. He does an awesome job, but there wasn't really ever any question he wouldn't. The judges loved him, I loved him and I voted for him of course. He was the best singer all night, I'm SURE we'll be seeing him go through to the Top 12.

That wraps up Group 1 of the Semi-Finals. We'll have to tune in tomorrow night to see who made it!

No comments:

Post a Comment