Thursday, October 8, 2009

Dancing With The Stars - Week 3 - Final 13

I know! It's late. I'm sorry! I was out of town over the weekend for my Jazzercise district meeting in Williamsport and it took me until today to catch up on everything I usually accomplish over the weekend. THAT said - I'm going to post the recap anyway for a couple reasons. 1 - some of you asked me to. And 2 - I'm a little OCD and it will bother me to have a week missing lol.


Some points of interest regarding this week's show: Donny Osmond and Bruno make out and Samantha chastises Donny for not giving Bruno any tongue. Paula solicits Carrie Ann. Samantha tries to arrange a 3some between Mark, Mark's wife, and Lacey, Paula Abdul is still on crack. Ahhh... family television...


On to the dancing though... The couples are doing either Rumba or Samba tonight. Most of them did pretty well!


Mark & Lacey go first with their Rumba. It was good, well danced, and I thought he did well moving his hips which is normally what the celebrities have trouble with during the Rumba. The only thing I thought he could have done better was to maybe slow down a little bit and think more about what that dance is supposed to embody. A few season's ago, Cheryl Burke described the Rumba as the woman's "Bedroom Dance". I wasn't really feelin that from Mark tonight. Len thought it was too aggressive and hard and there was no chemistry. Bruno echoed Len adding that Mark's moves were a bit too staccatto and he had no fluidity, and Carrie Ann praised the quality of his moves but said he was lacking a connection to the dance. Overall, they earned an 18 from the judges, which is low, but not nearly as low as we'll eventually go tonight. I voted for them for sure because I am a Lacey fan AND a Mark Decascos fan.


Joanna and Derek were 2nd to dance, doing the Samba. I was surprised that the judges awarded them a 23. I thought that was a pretty high score for their dance. It was cute and fun, and no doubt Joanna isn't the worst of the women out there by FAR but I thought it was a little messy and she lost the timing on several parts. Bruno thought it was an exciting dance that was full of life, Carrie Ann complimented her fearlessness to attempt anything and Len thought it had good rhythm and movement quality. I voted for them.

Mya and Dmitry were 3rd with a Rumba. I thought it was beautiful, Mya is an amazing dancer, as she should be since she's, well, a dancer. Mya could definitley walk away with the whole thing as long as she keeps up this standard of incredible dancing. It's just kind of a little bittersweet since she has this extensive dance background already. It would be more interesting to see Chuck or Louie win it all since neither of them could spell d-a-n-c-e before becoming a contestant. Carrie Ann thought it was ridiculously good and loved the fluidity, Len loved the chemistry and romance but scolded them for making it too busy and complicated and crammed with tricks. Bruno thought it was the embodiment of love and totally fabulous. They earned a 27 and the 1st two 10's of the season, but Len gave them a low 7 for making it too busy. I didn't vote for them this week.

Melissa and Mark were up next with a Samba. I loved this! It really looked like she was having fun and letting go out there. I think she's getting better and better and that's really what I think this show should be about. Not who's the best walking in the door, but who makes the most improvements and grows as a dancer. So far I think MJH holds that title pretty tightly. Len said that the parts she did well were really great and he could tell she was paying attention to foot placement, he liked the performance but wants more hip movement. Bruno complimented her improvement over last week and good feet but Carrie Ann still wasn't feelin it. She said it wasn't believable and that Melissa needs to let go of the fear. They only earned a 19 but I definitely voted for them, hoping they'd be safe for next week.

It's now Louie's and Chelsie's turn to Rumba and I really like them as a couple. I like that he's putting himself into this and really trying hard and I think he's totally adorable. Plus, now that Tom DeLay and Cherly Burke are out, we Jazzercise Instructors have to turn out loyalty to Louie since his mom is an instructor! That said, he didn't really do much dancing. It was mostly him moving from spot to spot while Chelsie did the tough stuff. But I thought he had good form and I liked his hair all slicked back! Bruno liked the performance but noted that there's still a lot of work to do. Carrie Ann liked the chemistry and complimented his frame and Len found it to be too wild with no finesse. They earned a 20 for their efforts which was a pretty great score considering Len gave them a 5.

Debi and Maks dance next with a Samba. First of all - WHAT THE HELL is Debi WEARING? That was so sad. The best part of their entire package was a cameo by Mel B. I will totally be voting for her to be the celebrity to return to dance. I love her! Debi & Mak's song was TOTALLY lame, she had horrible timing, didn't complete any of the moves, looked totally lost and I thought the choreography was really weak. I'm not sure if Maks had to make it that way so that Debi could execute it or if he just saw the music and wardrobe selection for the week and said "f*ck it". Carrie Ann thought it was cute but too safe. Len said it was neat and precise but had no ignition or flavor and Bruno felt it was too disconnected with no flow and too many mistakes. I agree... didn't vote for them. They earned a 17.

Donny & Kym are up now to dance the Rumba. I thought it was well done and so far, he was the only Rumba-ing male celeb to actuall DANCE during his piece so, I appreciated that. But it wasn't very steamy or passionate. Len thought it was great, Bruno thought it was pretty and he may have said something else but it was at this point that Donny jumped up onto the judges' table, took Bruno into his arms, dipped him and gave him a big ole smoocharoo. After Carrie Ann caught her breath and Donny slipped Bruno the keys to his hotel room, she complimented his bravery to go solo during the beginning and his genuine vulnerability but noted that he lost the musicality is several places. They earned a 21 from the judges and I voted for them because I think Donny is definitely one of the best men still dancing.

Michael and Anna are up next dancign the Samba. I'm still not sure what it is about Anna that bugs me. I don't like her dances. I don't know why she just bothers me! It was a lame dance. Michael has no rhythm. He tries to sell it with his facial expressions and if all you watched was his face you'd think he was reallllly nailing it! But they you realize he's not and it doesn't make any sense. Bruno pointed out several mistakes and times when he was on the wrong foot for the entire song, Carrie Ann thinks his problem is that he's a big dude and he's dancing too small, Len was disappointed but noted that the Samba is a rough dance to do for a big guy. They end up with the low score of the night with a 14 and I didn't vote.

Okay... 5 dancers left. Natalie and Alec do the Rumba. It was awesome, very well done, well executed, very pretty. Their practice session previews were funny when Edyta popped in to help Natalie get her sexy on. Carrie Ann loved it and called it gorgeous, Len thought it was very expressive and liked the leg action and Bruno said it was stratospheric! They earned a solid 26 and I definitely voted for them.

Next up: Chuck and Anna. I don't care what you say about technique, I just LIKE Chuck. He's just fun. He doesn't even move well and he's fun to watch. It was so cute and he really tries to do all the right steps at the right time. I love it! I think Len was afraid to critique Chuck's dancing, so instead, he complimented Anna for the enteraining choreography. Bruno liked the performance but noted there was still a huge amount of work to do. Carrie Ann loved his attitude but said it was still a little rough. They got a 17 and ended up safe!

Aaron and Karina were next with a Rumba. I didn't like it much. Aaron was a little spastic in his movements. Karina pointed out several times that he was just plain overdoing it and that's a very good word to describe how he was dancing. Just totally overdoing and over exagerating his movements so that it didn't look like dancing so much as just kind of flailing from one part to the next. Bruno said it was all Attack Focus and Determination but had no fluidity. Carrie Ann said that he moves well and has great lines but needs to tone back. Len agreed that he flings his arms and didn't think it had enough musicality. They still earned a respectable 21. I voted for them, Aaron is doing a good job and deserves a chance to work on what they want him to work on and come back next week.

Tom and Cheryl dance next with a Samba. Tom isn't supposed to be dancing at all because his pre-stress fracture in 1 foot is now 2 actual stress fractures in both feet. But he does the routine anyway and it ends up being the last dance for him. They earn a 15, not the lowest score of the night despite his injuries and end up having to withdraw from the competition. SOOOO sad for Jazzercise's celebrity spokesperson, but hey, there's always next season!!!

Kelly & Louis are the last to take the stage with their Samba. It was fun, and I loved their song! It was a really cute routine and Kelly did a great job. Len points out that she is a great dancer but that her problem lies in not having enough confidence. Bruno thinks she's made a terrific comeback after crashing and burning under the pressure of last week and wants her to let go of her self doubt. Carrie Ann loved her technique and wants her to lose the doubt.

So, we ended up having to say goodbye to Tom & Cheryl due to an injury but they also went ahead and eliminated Debi & Maks, leaving us with only 11 couples to dance next week. I'm not surprised to see Debi & Maks go after that performance. If they could've pulled off a Samba that was as good as their Tango last week (which wasn't GREAT but it WAS good) then they'd probably have been fine, but the music, the crazy dress, and the poor dancing really did them in one fell swoop this week so... bye Maks :( I shall miss you and your sexy bare chest.

That's all folks! Thanks for reading! Catch you next week :)

No comments:

Post a Comment