The best thing about Monday nights is getting Max ready for bed a little bit early so he can come back downstairs and watch the first few dancers perform. We settle down on the couch, usually with him in the crook of my arm, holding his blankie. The openning song comes on and he usually says "Hey is dis Dancin Wif Da Staws?" And I say "Yep!" Then he says "Is dat Samanfa Hawwis or somethin?" I don't know why he asks this, but he's right, it is her. Then the couples start their promenade down the staircase, waving and blowing kisses to the cameras as their names are announced. Max smiles and waves back at them, as if they're waving right to him. They've been waiting all day for him to get out of the tubby and come downstairs to watch them dance.
This always amuses me, watching him wave at the TV, and this week, only slightly moreso than Samanfa Hawwis' ridiculous hairdo. To which Max said "What's she do wif her hair? Is it cuwly or somefin?" He's so observant!
I was REALLY happy this week to see Maks back. He was dancing with Joanna because her partner, Derek, caught the flu from dancing with his shirt off last week. I say it was worth it and he should stop complaining!
This week the couples performed either the Paso Doble or The Argentine Tango, then they got together for a group number, a 70's inspired Hustle.
Up first were Natalie and Alec with the Paso Doble. I thought technically it was very good, but not very hard hitting. They did a lift even though they tried to maintain it was a jump on Natalie's part. Carrie Ann, the Lift Nazi, called them out on it and they got a little attitude-y with some eye rolling. You're not supposed to eye roll and talk back to the judges, that always gets you in trouble with voters, and I have to assume it was part of the reason we lost Natalie this week!! I have NO idea what people were thinking. She is one of the BEST dancers on the show!! The judges praised her technique, her clean lines, and ability to do the choreography. She earned a 22 and I, for one, voted for her. I'm sad to see her leave before some other dancers that should've left weeks ago.
One such dancer was 2nd on the floor. He and his partner Karina danced the Argentine Tango. Now, I was hatin on Aaron last week for his spastic nuttiness but he really pulled it together this week with this Tango. It was very controlled, had great leg flicks, and his crappy hairstyle was much improved. The judges loved it, complimenting him on being grounded, in character, and dramatic at the same time. He earned a 24 for his efforts and even though I was mad at him last week, I thought he deserved a vote tonight so he got one from me! I'm sad that he is still here instead of Natalie based on his previous performances, but I think if he's on the road to a comeback, Monday night was a good start.
Michael Irvin and a brunette Anna were next on the floor with a Paso Doble. I thought it had good aggression. I think he embodied the character of this dance better than in the past, there was more footwork and dancing on his part than in prior performances, as well. I'm just kind of over waiting for him to really pull out an amazing performance, though. I don't think he's going to ever be as great as Donny or Mark so I didn't vote for him. The judges gave him a 21.
Mya and Dmitry danced The Argentine Tango. It was VERY good. Awesome passion, fast, intricate leg flicks, their lift was extra cool and they had a good song, not some generic latin-y string/guitar tango music. I appreciated that. The judges praised her ability but said she was lacking an emotional connection. I didn't pick up on that and it must not have bothered them THAT much because they gave the girl a 27. I actually liked her performance so much that i voted for her, even though she didn't fall!
Mark and Lacey were next with the Paso Doble. It was VERY intense. Mark's eyes were bordering on "Crazy Eyes" several times during his solo, but he toned down the scary faces once the partnering started. It was clean, aggressive, and Lacey's hair was FIERCE! The judges loved the passion, the performance and said he was "on it". They gave him a 26 and I gave them a vote!
Donny and Kym were up next with their Argentine Tango. I LOVED it. It built and built on the intensity and passion and suspension and Kym's dress was bangin. The judges loved it as well. Carrie Ann said Donny has undergone a transformation, Len loved the light and shade of the dance and called it Donny's best so far, and Bruno said that Donny is now "Donny Darko" and welcomed him to the dark side. Bruno is nuts! They got the high score of the night with a 29 and I definitely voted for them!
Everyone's favorite Hobbit was next, also dancing The Argentine Tango with his adorable partner Chelsie. This was a cool dance. I liked the way they incorporated the chair, with it starting with Chelsie sitting in it, holding her head in her hands, and ending with Louie sitting in it, holding his head. I thought they had good chemistry and enjoyed the characters they were playing. Louie is not the best dancer left by far. He's probably another one that should have gone well before now, and definitely before Natalie, but he's still with us and it will be interesting to see how he progresses from here. The judges were all pleasantly surprised by how much they, too, enjoyed the performance, calling it his best dance this season, complimenting his partnering efforts, but warning him that he's still "stepping" through the dances instead of dancing through. All that said, they gave him a 22, which is his highest score so far. I voted for him. JAZZERCISE RULES! :)
Melissa and Mark also danced The Argentine Tango. I thought she could've made her movements more precise and a little larger. It had good leg flicks but could've used a little more passion and chemistry between them. Bruno pointed out the several times she kind of lost it during the dance but Carrie Ann disagreed, saying she nailed the character, and aside from a few stumbles, loved how the story built. Len complimented her ability to deal with the difficult choreography but thought it lacked any seduction. They got a 23, and I voted for her.
Up next were Kelly Osbourne and Louis dancing their Paso Doble to Ozzy's "Crazy Train". That was interesting. The band did a semi-respectable cover. Once again, Louis had some crazy ass makeup on but I liked the nod to Ozzy & Sharon with the eye makeup and Kelly's hair. I think they did a good job. I thought it could've been a little bit more hard hitting but the intensity and aggression certainly built up throughout the performance. The judges encouraged her to stay focused and in the moment instead of getting scared or distracted, and gave them a 24. I like Kelly, her interview pieces are funny to watch, so I voted for them to come back for sure.
AND this is the point in the night I was WAITING FOR! Maks is dancing with that one blonde girl who I hope catches her other partner's flu! It started out SO good, but she went and tripped over her feet. The whole dance was amazing and very passionate and technical and I loved watching Maks dance. It was unfortunate that she tripped and felt SO bad for her. That is, until she BLAMED MY MAKS for tripping her! WHAT!? Oh no you didn't! The judges gave "her", as she will be known from now on, a 24. Honestly, it should've been much higher, it was an awesome performance, but I guess they really have to deduct when people nearly fall on their butts.
So, that's the wrap up on the Top 10. Sad to see Natalie go but looking forward to next week! Thanks for reading!
Wednesday, October 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment