Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Dancing With The Stars - Ladies Dance

Last night was Night 2 of the 3 night Season Premiere of DWTS! Last night the ladies took the stage to show us what they got. Here's a recap of their performances and judges' scores.

Up first were Debi & Maks dancing the Salsa. The judges all agreed that Debi has a lot of potential but that she could've worked her hips more and connected more with the character of the dance. I thought she did a respectable job for the 1st dance of the season and for being the first girl out on stage last night. Plus, you really can't ever complain about an opportunity to watch Maks dance right?? Len gave her a 5, saying she needed to work on hip movement, Bruno also gave her a 5, stating that he enjoyed how she shook her bazoombas but lost the timing, and Carrie Ann gave her a 6 saying that she appreciates that it's tougher on the women since they're the ones being watched! I definitely voted for her, I love her adorable accent!

Melissa Joan Hart and Mark Ballas were up next dancing the Viennese Waltz. I thought she did a very good job but she's going to be one of those celebs that needs to figure out how to loosen up and really move to the music. I watched a zillion reruns of Clarissa Explains It All when I babysat for Jedd & Alyssa (who I'm tagging in this note lol) on Nick At Night and was ALL about Sabrina The Teenage Witch so I'm really pulling for MJ and voted a couple times for her tonight. Bruno gave her a 6 but told her she was too prim and proper and that she needs to lower her shoulders, Carrie Ann gave her a 6 praising her for some good moments and elegance but advising her to watch the choppiness, and Len also gave her a 6 praising her good hold, good movement but bad feet. I really hope to see her back next week.

Mya & Dmitry also danced the Viennese Waltz. Mya was great, but I think everyone pretty much expects her to be great. She's been a dancer all her life and even though she's never studied ballroom, she's got the skill to pick up choreography and clearly knows how to move her body to the music. Their dance was beautiful and she definitely deserved the high marks the judges gave her, and to be back next week! Carrie Ann gave her an 8 and loved her lines, and her quality of movement. Bruno also awarded her an 8 for the artistry, calling her magnificent, but Len marked her all the way down to a 5 because he thought the choreography was too non-traditional. I don't think the judges should be allowed to punish the celebrity for problems in the choreography. They should award how well the celeb executes the choreography they're given.

Kathy and Tony were next with their Salsa. Kathy is the token middle-aged woman of the season and they never do so well. Her movements were small, she didn't have any pizzaz or energy, and she never once moved her hips. The Len and Bruno gave her 5's saying she just didn't sell it and it was too careful. Carrie Ann gave her a 6 and advised her to let go and really move. She's probably the ONLY one aside from Macy Gray who could possibly be in trouble of leaving tonight... we'll see.

Natalie Coughlin and Alec were up next doing the Salsa. I didn't totally enjoy it. It was kind of slow and never really went anywhere. She did a good job with the hip action and she has potential but it was pretty boring. Bruno gave her a 6 and liked the shapes she created but said she kept freezing mid-move. Carrie Ann gave her a 7 and called her a diamond in the rough and praised her pointed toes. Len gave a 6, saying he was bewildered that none of the women dancing Salsa thus far had been able to knock his socks off.

Macy Gray and Jonathen then took the floor with the Viennese Waltz. As my friend Heidi said "Macy brought the crazy!" And yes, she totally did! What a hot mess this girl is all over the floor! She doesn't have an elegant or graceful bone in her body and she should definitely be on the short list of people we DON'T want to see back next week. Carrie Ann gave her a 6 because she found her bizarrely fascinating. Len appreciated her vulnerability but gave her a 4 so that leads me to believe he didn't appreciate much else about her performance, and Bruno gave her a 5, calling her endearing, but stating the obvious, which is that she has a lot of work to do on technique. I'm not sure she needs to worry too much, I'd be surprised if she wasn't eliminated tonight.

Swimsuit model, Joanna and partner Derek were next dancing the Salsa. It was really good! I've NEVER heard of this girl before but she's got sass and attitude and is pretty entertaining. She did a very respectable job for her first dance and deserved the 8's across the board from the judges. They all agreed she was smokin' hot and loved her confidence. They also loved Derek's choreography.

Kelly Osbourne and Louis danced last. Thier Viennese Waltz was beautiful. Ozzy and Sharon were crying. The judges couldn't believe their eyes. Personally I thought she did an amazing job, she was graceful, had good technique and was clearly enjoying herself out there! I loved watching her dance and can't wait for next week! Bruno gave her an 8, Carrie Ann gave her a 7 marking her down because her foot came off the floor in a lift, and Len gave her an 8 stating that their Waltz was the best of the night.

Up next were the Relay Dances. The 1st group danced the Foxtrot. Joanna's was beautiful and had lots of great technique and attitude, winning her the 10, Natalie did much better at Ballroom than Latin and got the 8, the judges liked Debi's energy and lines but asked her to tone it down just a little, giving her the 6, and Kathy came in last with the 4 because her movements were too small and lacked energy.

The 2nd group danced the Cha Cha Cha. Mya got the 10 because she KILLED it! Kelly got the 8, and a big compliment from the judges who said she brought 2 first class performances to the floor, Melissa Joan Hart got the 6 with the advice from the judges that she needs to let loose and go for it because she has the talent, and Macy got the 4 which came as no surprise to anyone, I think.

The standings for the ladies are these:
Joanna Krupa - 34
Kelly Osbourne - 31
Mya - 31
Natalie Coughlin - 27
Melissa Joan Hart - 24
Debi Mazar - 21
Kathy Ireland - 20
Macy Gray - 19

I think the only ladies who have anything to worry over tonight are Kathy and Macy and of those 2, I would probably rather see Macy go. But if Kathy goes, that's okay, too, because then Macy might say something even MORE crazy than "I'm glad I finally popped my cherry" and get bleeped again!

Tonight is the double elimination, the world premiere of Miley Cyrus's video, a performance from the Lion King cast, and a tribute to Patrick Swayze. My picks to go tonight are probably Ashley Hamilton for the guys and Macy Gray for the ladies.

No comments:

Post a Comment